VPR Announcement: Minors in the Research Workplace at the University of Texas Health Science at San Antonio (UTHSCSA)
Faculty/Staff Compliance Training
- Online Child Protection Training Video, Minors Conducting Research in the Workplace
- Required assessment regarding your understanding of Child Protection in the Workplace Assessment
Register via the online registration below. Also, complete Sections 1 and 2, and sign section 3 of the Hazard Assessment form below and send to trainee to print/obtain parent/legal guardian signature. Your registration should be completed by January 27, 2017 for Spring placement and May 19, 2017 for Summer placement. All documents requiring parent/legal guardian signature should be submitted as described below.
- Registration (by research mentor)
- Hazard Assessment Request for Minors in the Workplace Form
- Visiting Student Form requires the signature of the mentor and mentor's departmental chairperson in section 3
Once completed, return all forms to Irene Chapa, PhD (email: email@example.com or FAX: 210-567-0399) as a single packet by January 27, 2017 for Spring placement and May 19, 2017 for Summer placement.
- Criminal Records Check Information Form - parents AND minors must sign section 3 after mentor completes and signs sections 1,2, and 3
- Visiting Student Application for Elective Form (minor students complete section 1 and need to acquire signatures for section 3 from their mentor and the mentor's chairperson. Section 2 only needs to be completed if the minor is receiving credit for a class from their high school. If so, then a high school administrator needs to sign as the school official)
- Model Authorization Release Form
- Release and Indemnification Agreement for Minors Form (a witness signature is required on page 2 in addition to parental signature)
- Proof of Personal Insurance Coverage Form
- Policy on Transportation Form
- Hazard Assessment Request for Minors in the Workplace Form (Sections 1 and 2 must be completed by the research mentor prior to signature by student, parent/legal guardian and mentor in section 3)
- Medical Treatment Authorization Form
An email notification will be sent to the mentor confirming the receipt of these documents.
Finally, each minor student must attend mandatory orientation/training sessions which will be provided on the week of February 1, 2017 for Spring and June 13, 2017 for Summer. Specific dates and times are being determined.
Minor students are not allowed in the university workplace unless they are registered and trained and their paperwork is submitted to ORSO.
For questions or additional information, please contact the Office of Recruitment and Science Outreach (ORSO) at 210-567-3941.