In recognition of excellence and commitment in mentorship to postdoctoral research fellows at UT Health SA Antonio
James Stockand, PhD
Professor, Department of Cell & Integrative Physiology
UT Health San Antonio
Call for nominations
Outstanding Postdoctoral Research Mentor Award
The Outstanding Postdoctoral Research Mentor Award recognizes exceptional faculty who mentor postdoctoral research fellows at the UT Health San Antonio (UT Health SA).
Nominations must be provided by either a current or a recent postdoctoral research fellow (i.e., within 3 years after termination of postdoctoral appointment at UT Health SA). The postdoctoral research fellow may submit only one nomination per year and must have been under the research mentorship of the nominee for at least 6 months at UT Health SA.
The awardee will receive institutional recognition and research-related travel funds ($1,000).
Full-time faculty who have conducted research at UT Health SA for a minimum of three (3) years are eligible for nomination. Nominees will have direct, on-going, and significant involvement with postdocs as well as evidence of commitment and effectiveness as a mentor of postdocs during their careers at UT Health SA. Nominees will be faculty who have records of excellence in activities that guide postdoctoral research fellows toward intellectual and professional independence. Prior recipients of the UT Health SA Outstanding Postdoctoral Research Mentor Award are eligible for nomination 3 years after their most recent award.
Selection and Award Process
A committee that includes postdoctoral research fellows and faculty will review nominations and provide a recommendation. The awardee will be recognized during National Postdoc Appreciation Week (NPAW) in September.
Nomination Submission Packet
- Nominating Letter: An eligible current or recently completed UT Health SA postdoctoral research fellow should prepare the nomination letter which also serves as the primary letter of support. This letter must include:
- Name, department/center/institute and school, and email address of the postdoctoral research fellow together with dates (mm/yyyy start and end dates) of postdoctoral research training at UT Health SA
- Name and department/center/institute and school of the nominee
- A statement regarding the mentoring impact of the nominee at UT Health SA
- Letters of Support: A supporting letter must be provided by the Department Chair, Dean, Division Chief, or equivalent unit leader of the nominee. Additional letters of support from recent mentees or colleagues are encouraged and should be included together with the two required letters.
- Vitae: A curriculum vitae of the nominee is required.
- Current and Prior Postdoctoral Trainees: NIH-formatted tables for the nominee should detail publications (Table 5B) and outcomes (Tables 8C) of all current and prior postdoctoral trainees of the nominee for the past 10 years (NIH-styled Tables are available here).
Awardee announced in September.
The complete nomination packet should be submitted electronically as a single PDF file to the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (firstname.lastname@example.org) by July 27, 2020.
If questions, contact Laura Moreno at the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs at 210.567.0937 or email@example.com.