Postdoctoral positions focused on utilizing mass spectrometry to identify biomarkers and therapeutic targets by ‘Omics’ approaches are available within the Center for Renal Precision Medicine directed by Dr. Kumar Sharma, Chief of Nephrology, within the Department of Medicine at the University of Texas Health, San Antonio. Our laboratory uses targeted metabolomics and imaging mass spectrometry along with animal models, cell culture studies, and clinical studies to integrate basic research into translational medicine. We have been recently funded by the NIH to develop a kidney precision medicine program for analysis of spatial metabolomic profiling of kidney tissues to map disease states.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
1. Perform metabolomic analysis together with systems biology approaches in animal models and humans to identify targets of diabetic kidney disease.
2. Apply high resolution imaging mass spectroscopy for spatial metabolomics in animal and human kidney tissue sections
3. Perform targeted quantitative metabolomics analysis of urine, plasma and tissue samples from cell culture, mouse and human samples using GC-MS and LC-MS.
• Ph.D. in Analytical chemistry, Chemistry, Biochemistry or Life Sciences
• Experience in cardiovascular, renal or metabolic disease research areas
• Strong background and hands-on experience in qualitative and/or quantitative mass spectrometry
• Hands-on experience in GC-MS, LC-MS and HPLC, preferably in small molecule analyses.
Experience in MRM method development.
• Preference for candidates with experience in Imaging Mass Spectrometry and/or experience in
handling mouse models
• Strong analytical background and excellent problem solving skills
• Knowledge in bioinformatics and data processing tools such as R, Cytoscape, Metaboanalyst
• Ability to handle multiple projects and excellent trouble shooting skills
• Strong team player and excellent inter-personnel skills.
Please send following documents as combined single PDF to Manjula Darshi, Ph.D., email@example.com.
CV including education list, publication list and at least two names and email addresses of references. Summary of previous and current research and future plan (1-2 pages)